Canadian Lung Association Blog

Blog Archives

Asbestos: You have the right to know!


Asbestos is a natural fibrous mineral that is heat resistant, chemical resistant and hard to break down.  It is found in items such as insulation and ceiling/floor tiles.  If these products are to be disturbed, you should call a trained professional to remove it properly.  Exposure to asbestos fibres can cause a type of pulmonary fibrosis called asbestosis.  Asbestos causes damage and scarring so your alveoli (air sacs) become stiff, not stretchy. Howard Willems from Saskatoon recently died of cancer because of exposure to asbestos on the job.  He was just 59 years old.  Howard was an inspector with the

Tagged with: ,
Posted in Lung Health, Stories